Latest Android OS 6.0 Marshmallow is now released for Samsung Galaxy J5 (Sm-J510L). Galaxy J5 is the well featured latest smartphone of Samsung Electronics and this Marshmallow update is released for J5 via OTA. Many of J5 owners successfully updated their smartphones on Marshmallow but if someone didn’t receive this update yet then there is always a way to manually update their smartphone on Marshmallow. Android Marshmallow is the latest Android operating system and the taste of this version is totally different, smooth and creamy, power efficient and easy to operate. Having all these features everyone must try this Marshmallow OS on their Android. In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to manually update Galaxy J5 (SM-J510L) on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The updating process is easy, just read the instructions and update your J5 on Marshmallow.
This updating tutorial is only applicable on Samsung Galaxy J5 (SM-J510L), never try this process on any other model of J5 or any other smartphone, it may harm your smartphone. This process is sensitive and recommended for advanced users. Do all this process at your own risk, if something went wrong during or after the process Androidfunz.com will not b held responsible for any kind of loss. If you have read the instructions and you agree then let’s start the further process.
Do Before Starting the Process
- Backup all the important data of your Android, although it is not a data loss process but if something wrong happens and you need to perform Factory Reset, in this case, all of your mobile data will erase.
- Charge your smartphone fully to avoid any type of power issues during the process.
- Enable USB debugging mode of your device, it will allow the device to transfer the files from PC to Android device.( For this from Home Screen click onApps, tap on Settings, from the SYSTEM section, tap op Developer option, tap Ok to enable USB Debugging.
- You must have properly working Android USB data cable.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers of Galaxy J5 on your PC or Laptop.
Let’s start the process
There are two ways to update your J5 (SM-J510L) on Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- Update via Samsung KIES
- Update via Odin
First, try to update via KIES because this is the easy and short way of updating on Marshmallow, if it is not successful then finally update this via Odin, Odin is the official tool of Samsung for flashing the firmware files and also an authentic way of installing the files.
1-Update via Samsung KIES
For manually update your Galaxy J5 process is given below
- First download and install Samsung KIES on your PC from HERE
- After installing launch Samsung KIES on your PC and connect your Samsung J5 to PC via USB data cable. Wait some time after connecting the PC until Samsung KIES detect your Samsung J5 (SM-J510L)
- After detecting J5, Samsung KIES will automatically notify you about new OS update.You device have any update then click on ”Firmware Update” This will start the latest firmware update (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) on your Samsung J5, this updating process will take some time, do not turn off your device during the process. After successful installation, you device will reboot and appear with Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Note: If after the detecting Samsung KIES shows ”This is the latest firmware” then you will have to update Samsung J5 (SM-J510L) manually via Odin flash tool.
Steps to Update Galaxy J5 (SM-J510L) on Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- On your PC download the 6.0 Marshmallow firmware for Galaxy J5 (SM-J510L) from HERE. After downloading extract the firmware. You will get tar.md5 file and some others.
- Download Odin v3.0.9 flash tool from HERE. After downloading extract Odin. You will get v3.0.9.exe.
- Now it’s time to put your device into download mode. For this Turn Off your Samsung J5, after that press and hold Home+Power+Volume Downbuttons at the same time for few seconds and release the buttons when a warning screen appears. Press ”Volume Up” button to enter into download mode.
- In this step launch Odin v3.0.9.exe on PC (Run Odin as Administrator)
- Connect your Samsung J5 to PC via USB data cable. ID:Com box in Odin will turn blue after detecting your device and you will show ”Added” message on the top of Odin screen. (If not detected then check USB data cable or reinstall Samsung USB drivers)
- On Odin click on AP button, select the firmware ….tar.md5 file which we have downloaded in step 1.
- Make sure F.rest time and Auto reboot options are ticked (√), and others are unticked.
- When you have done all these things then simply click on Start button. This will begin installing process, it may take 5 to 7 minutes for flashing. When the installation completes a big PASS message will show. That’s mean you have done all the process successfully. Now your device will reboot automatically, final reboot also will take some time, so no need to worry if takes some tome.
(If Odin stuck at any point, unplug data cable, close and again run the Odin, again start the process from step 4)
Hangs on Samsung Logo
It is common that after the final reboot it get stuck at boot screen (Hangs on Samsung Logo), in this situation you need to wipe cache partition task/factory reset task on your Galaxy J5. This will resolve boot loop issue.
That’s it, friends. Now you are using latest Android OS on your Galaxy J5. Hope you like our tutorial. If you have any issue during the process let us tell in the comment. Our team will pleasure to guide you.