Every Android ships with stock custom recovery preinstalled which mean there are no permissions to do the third party actions on your device by the manufacturer. Stock recovery has limited options to do something more with your Android device because the manufacturer never allows any illegal operation on the device. If you want to enjoy your device fully you must need to install a custom recovery in place of stock recovery. Stock recovery opens many options for android and a user can do more with Android smartphone like a complete backup of the device, installing custom ROMs as well as official ROMs, apps, themes, kernel and many others tasks. After installing a custom recovery Android feels free to do what you want. If you are a geek and like customization then you must install a custom recovery on your LG G4. This guide is all about installing a custom recovery and root your LG G4 all models. In this tutorial, I will show how to install TWRP custom recovery and root LG G4 all variants.
Our more successful guides about LG G4
- Update LG G4 to Marshmallow
- Update verizon LG G4 VS 986 to Marshmallow
- Downgrade LG G4 H815 from Marshmallow to lollipop
- Downgrage LG G4 H818 Dual from Marshmallow to Lollipop
(Install TWRP recovery Root LG G4)
Installing a custom recovery or rooting is a risky process, this process is only for advanced users. Do all this at your own risk, Androidfunz.com will not b responsible for any kind of damage to your device.
Do before proceeding
- Make sure you have unlocked the Bootloader on LG G4.
- Charge your LG G4 almost 70% for safe access of installing TWRP and root access.
- Backup all important data of your device because if something wrong happens you may lose your precious data of LG G4.
- Enable USB debugging mode of your LG G4. For this go to mobile Setting>>Developer Option>>USB Debugging and enable it. If developer option is not found then go to Setting>>More>>About phone>>build number, tap seven times on build number. It will show developer option, now enable it.
- Need a PC having LG G4 USB drivers on it.
- Install and setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC.
Download files TWRP Recovery for LG G4
Choose TWRP recovery file according to your device model
Steps to install TWRP Custom Recovery on LG G4
Carefully download the TWRP Custom Recovery image file from the above link according to your device model number. Make sure after downloading it is in .img format if it does not then extract the downloaded file.
Rename the image file to recovery.img, and copy this to fast boot folder for further easy access.
Open the CDM which is available inside the Fastboot folder by pressing and holding the Shift key and right-clicking inside the fast boot folder. Now select open command.
Now connect your LG G4 to PC.
In CDM type adb reboot bootloader and press enter. This will reboot your LG G4
- Now you have two options
- If you want to temporary boot into TWRP then follow this command and hit Enter fastboot boot recovery.img
- For permanently flash the recovery then use this command and press enter fastboot flash recovery.img
You have done a great job. Finally, you need to reboot your device, for this use this command and hit Enter fast reboot
Now you have successfully installed TWRP Custom Recovery on your LG G4.
Steps to Root LG G4
Download the SuperSU-v2.4.6.zip package.
Copy this .zip package to the root folder which is available in the internal storage of SD card. Do not copy this to any other folder.
Now boot your LG G4 into recovery mode. For this first turn off your LG G4, press and holdVolume Down and Power buttons at the same time until you will see LG logo, release the keys for a second and after one second again hold them until you will see recovery mode. Now release the buttons.
In recovery menu tap on Install, choose the .zip root package which is available in the root folder, swipe to confirm and install the .zip file.
After flashing the file go to the main menu, choose reboot, and boot your device. The last reboot will take some time.
If hangs on LG Logo after Reboot
It is a common problem that after final reboot many of devices hangs on LG Logo. In this situation you need to Hard Reset your device. This will erase all of your device data. Here is complete guide How to Fix LG G4 Stock on Boot Screen or LG Logo
Congrats! you have rooted your LG G4 successfully. If you have any problem during the process let us tell in comments, Androidfunz will pleasure to guide you. Thanks